ENGLISH FOR LAW at UNSW Institute of Languages
English for Law is an interactive 5 or 10 week course designed to give you experience and the written and spoken English skills necessary to communicate effectively with clients and professionals in a legal environment.
This is an ideal program if you are nearing completion of your degree, or if you are working in the legal field and seeking to expand your English proficiency.
It is also an outstanding preparation course for the International Legal English Certificate (ILEC) exam, a Cambridge qualification.
– Focus on English vocabulary and skill development for commercial legal practice
– An overview of common law legal systems and processes, and specifically those of Australia, the United Kingdom and the United States
– An excellent preparation for an internship with a local Sydney-based law firm– further details on internship opportunities are available from our Student Services team
– Excursions and site visits to courts, Parliament, university law-related lectures, and law schools
– Classes of no more than 18 students that allow for close levels of interaction between you and your teachers.
– Highly qualified and experienced teachers who understand the needs of students and provide the support and advice that you need.
– Up to date classroom technology is used to engage and motivate you in your learning.
Skill development in:
– effective presentations
– negotiation skills
– listening to presentations and discussions on legal topics
– writing legal correspondence and reports
– role-plays and case studies
– reading legal texts
Course topics include:
– Common Law Legal Systems and Practice
– Company formation, management and capitalisation
– Contract formation, remedies and assignment
– Intellectual Property law
– Competition Law
Final course marks are based on:
– Ongoing assessment in class based on clearly focused tasks, eg. writing legal letters and memos
– Participation in class activities such as pair work, group work and special projects
– Homework tasks and special assignments
– Seminar presentations and simulated interviews
– Term tests based on material covered during the period of study.
At the successful completion of the course, you will receive a UNSW Institute of Languages certificate at a graduation ceremony.
Classes may be scheduled in the morning or the afternoon at our Kensington or Randwick Campus
Morning class times: 9.00 – 11.00 am and 11.30 am – 1.30 pm
Afternoon class times: 1.30 – 3.30 pm and 4.00 – 6.00 pm
START DATES 2015
5 Jan – 6 Feb 2015
9 Feb – 13 Mar 2015
25 May – 26 Jun 2015
29 Jun – 31 Jul 2015
3 Aug – 4 Sep 2015
– Entry is based on an interview and placement test on arrival or on IELTS (or equivalent) test results.
– IELTS Overall 5.5 with 5.5 in writing (or equivalent) or based on the results of an interview and placement test.
– A background in Law is required for this course.
If you’d like to know more about this program and our services contact us
Our counselling services are free of charge.