English & Methodology for TESOL Purposes
The EMTP program is designed for English language teachers at primary, secondary or higher education levels who have a language background other than English.
It enables teachers to enhance their own English language skills and to receive insights into creative and innovative methodology appropriate for teaching English to learners from elementary to advanced levels. The EMTP program also introduces participants to new resources and materials appropriate for the ESOL classroom context.
Program benefits include:
- Intensive focus on English language use and usage in the context of primary, secondary and/or tertiary or higher education as relevant
- Tuition by highly qualified native speaker English language teachers/teacher trainers with extensive experience teaching trainee and practising teachers at primary, secondary, tertiary and higher education levels
- A unique opportunity to explore new approaches to and methodologies for the teaching of English
- An opportunity for participating teachers to build up their motivation and confidence in using English in the classroom
- Cross-cultural awareness training and strategies as an integral part of English language teaching in an international context
- An opportunity for participating teachers to observe the Australian classroom environment and the application of English teaching methodologies through organised school visits
EMTP participants receive 25 hours of tuition per week with a combined focus on English language enhancement and development of applied TESOL methodology skills. Program content is designed to develop participants’ communicative competence and proficiency skills in a TESOL context, with a focus on:
- Intensive development of English language fluency in the four macro skills of speaking, listening, reading and writing, with a principal focus on speaking and listening
- Development of awareness and familiarisation with communicative teaching methodologies
- Development of and practice in strategies to promote classroom teaching and learning
- Practical use of multimedia to develop skills for use in the language classroom and for teachers’ professional development purposes
- Micro-teaching and materials development
EMTP fixed date program
ICTE-UQ delivers a 3-week fixed date, mixed nationality EMTP program each year. Enrolment is open to individuals or small groups of TESOL teacher trainers and primary/secondary school, college and university English language teachers.
The EMTP fixed date program provides an opportunity for program participants to meet with colleagues from the TESOL profession in a multicultural learning environment. Individual class sizes are limited to between 12 and 18 participants.
2015 Program Dates: Monday 20 July – Friday 7 August 2015
2015 Program Fee: AUD$ 1,470
EMTP fixed date program support services
EMTP fixed date program enrolment
To enrol in a fixed-date EMTP program, and to apply for homestay accommodation and/or airport reception, please download the EMTP Enrolment Form (pdf 133KB) and return it to ICTE-UQ.
Customised EMTP Group Programs
EMTP programs can be customised to suit individual client needs and are available for groups of TESOL teacher trainers and primary/ secondary school, college and university teachers of English. Customised EMTP programs for bilingual teachers of other subjects are also available.
For more information about this program contact us