What is Media Arts?
The Bachelor of Media Arts enables students to enter the exciting world of film, television, animation, digital design, interactivity, web and mobile design. The degree is ideal for students who are creative, curious and passionate about finding ways to record and express their experiences of the world.
This innovative degree provides a theoretical understanding and practical foundation in creative media production, using contemporary digital tools. Students develop critical analysis and communication skills in a range of media technologies across a variety of platforms. The program also provides a pathway for further learning in postgraduate studies.
Career outcomes may include:
• Web developer
• Digital designer
• Production manager
• Creative Director
Students specialise in one strand – either:
• Film, Television and Computer-Generated Imagery (CGI), or
• Digital Media
but have the opportunity to undertake courses from across both areas of the Media Arts degree to further broaden their skills.
Strategic links and collaboration with internationally regarded businesses support students’ preparation for the workforce and its demands. Students’ knowledge and workplace experience is enhanced by industry placements and internships.
Film, Television and CGI specialisation
• introduces students to a range of cinematic-based media forms
• develops critical knowledge and technical skills required to enter the industry
• develops knowledge of narrative and documentary forms
• learn the importance of ‘story’ in the creation of media content
• understand the roles involved in the production cycle, from conceptualisation and script writing to production and post-production
• combines traditional and digital forms of image making required by the industry
Digital Media specialisation
• introduces students to digital design and web development
• develops professional skills required to produce effective print publications and industry standard websites for multiple devices
• learn the importance of communicating content clearly to an audience through effective information and image design
• develop skills and knowledge required to take a project from conceptualisation to production, and ensure it meets industry standards
• develop an understanding of interactivity and the significance of different media platforms for the user experience
• with most organisations conducting business digitally, the demand for these skills in the digital media area is high
The University of South Australia offers students some of the best learning and teaching facilities in the state. Our state-of-the-art, industry-standard facilities include:
• highdefinition cameras
• chroma-key green screen with virtual sets
• extensive range of fluorescent and selecon lighting
• state-of-the-art radio broadcasting equipment
• online broadcastingcapabilities
• students can volunteer their time with the University’s UniCast Radio Station (a 24 hour internet streaming radio station)
• modelled on the famous Abbey Road Studios
• incorporates an isolation room, live room, and control room
• a multi-use space suitable for specialist music, multimedia, and film post-production
• equipped with ‘ProTools’, a professional audio mastering software
• capable of recording live music, multi-tracking, digital audio mastering, and recording voice overs, dialogue and foley tracks for film productions
• custom-built acoustic panelling to achieve maximum sound quality
These facilities, combined with practical experience using industry standard editing, animation and multimedia labs, ensure that students gain skills and exposure to real-life professional projects and challenges.
To view videos of these industry-standard facilities, click here.
The Bachelor of Media Arts may also be studied as a pathway into the Master of Teaching (Secondary) degree. Upon completing your Bachelor of Media Arts degree with a minimum GPA of 4.0, gain guaranteed entry to the Master of Teaching (Secondary) in your specialisation. The Master of Teaching (Secondary) prepares you to teach at middle and secondary levels and enables graduates to apply for teacher registration in South Australia, interstate and some overseas countries. For more information, clickhere.
English language entry requirements
• IELTS total: 6.0
• IELTS reading: 6.0
• IELTS writing: 6.0
For more information about the Bachelor of Media Arts, contact us